Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Famous Babe

As I mentioned in one of the posts over on the SCA 2004 blog, Babe was the star of the poop pool at the National. This was something Rescue came up with to raise money. The plan was to set up a 10 foot by 6 foot exercise pen, grid a piece of plastic off in 6 inch squares and lay it on the floor of the ex-pen, then cover it with wood chips, put a dog in the pen and whereever they pooped, that square won $1000.

Janet White the SCA National Rescue Coordinator decided it would be a good idea to use a puppy as puppies tend to have a more "predicatable" schedule.. in other words, feed them and they usually poop pretty quickly, so the chances of everyone standing around for hours waiting for a dog to poop would be less. Of course the problem is that a puppy might be spooked by the strange environment and people standing around watching her. Not my Babe....

I am famous! I am famous!!!!! The first day we were at the Big Show we were in this little room with all these people and dogs. They were sammies like me (only bigger) EVERYWHERE!!!! They were sniffiing each other and barking and some of them seemed really scared by the noise and the people and the slippery floor but not me, I though it was exciting! Then this lady came up to my mom and said she thought I looked like a pretty self assured puppy. Mommy laughed and said that was an understatement. Then the lady explained about this Poop Pool thing and asked if they could use ME at the Poop Pool Puppy. I wanted Mommy to say yes so badly and she did!

So the whole rest of the week people knew who I was. They made signs that had my name on them and they were EVERYWHERE. Mommy and I would be out walking and people would come up and say "You must be the famous BABE" and then say things to me like "N4 Babe, remember N4" or they'd ask my mommy if I liked the edge or the middle. Mommy would tell them she didn't know 'cause I'd never been in an ex-pen before.

Finally the big day came! I got a special meal (people watching called it the "Money Meal" and they took pictures while I was eating. Then Mommy carried me outide to this big fence thing full of woodchips and put me in it. It was fun!! I ate wood chips and threw them in the air and barked and everyone laughed. Then I pottied and everyone cheered and they took more pictures. It was all SO MUCH FUN!!!

-Babe

Yes, Babe was a good girl and after eating a double sized meal she did her duty in under 5 minutes. I had visions of her spending an hour in the exercies pen soaking up the attention she was receiving before getting down to business but she performed like the champion she will someday be. The lucky square was M3 and it happened to be an unpurchased sqaure so the money went back to rescue. The coordinator of the event even suggested we might use Babe again next year since she was such a hit this year.....