Monday, January 17, 2005

I'm So Proud of My Baby Girls!

First a quick Kelly update: I took her with me when I had my regular weekly chiropractic appointment on Friday. The doctor said her neck was a "real mess". So I am going to assume it was a pinched nerve. She goes back to the chiropracter again on Wednesday.

And now, why am I proud of my Baby Girls?

We went to class last Tuesday night and it was pretty embarrasing. Babe, who is supposed to be half trained already, and has been to literally a dozen dog shows, acted as if she had never seen another dog (pr person) outside of her family. She wanted to greet everyone. "Greeting" involves a lot of noise (howling AND barking)and a lot of hopping around.

Then when it came time to have the "judge" (the instructor) look at her teeth she went berserk. She alternated between trying to climb over his head to throwing herself on her back and rolling around.

When it was Kira's turn she was not much better. Of course she had an excuse, it was her first time at a class.

She actually didn't mind the looking-at-the-teeth part, but when it came time for us to gait around the ring she thought she was supposed to run around my legs at the same time as the two of us moved around the ring!

So I decide to go to this puppy match yesterday even though I knew I'd be humiliated. Humiliation is part of showing dogs :)

I thought Kira would let everyone hear the Siberian Scream all day long. After about 5 minutes (once she was sure everyone knew she had arrived), miracle of miracles, she was quiet the rest of the day!!

First Babe went in and not only did she allow the judge to look at her teeth with only a little extra effort on his part, but she won her class! By the time we got to Best of Breed (which her Aunt Faith won) she was actually acting like a show dog.

Then it was Kira's turn. She too won her class beating her litter sister Mara. She has a long way to go, but for her first outing she did great.

Mike, if you are reading this, Babe, Kira and I WILL be at class EVERY Tuesday (7:30) at Friendship Academy Dog Training and EVERY Wednesday (also 7:30) at Pikes Peak Obedience Club, unless the weather is bad!

Are Babe and Kira still best friends? You be the judge.